Friday, August 25, 2006

Bomber Reid 'not mad'

SHOE bomber Richard Reid, who tried to blow up a passenger jet mid-flight, has insisted: "I am not crazy."

The British misfit, now serving three life sentences in the US, also told a lawyer: "I knew exactly what I was doing.
"I knew that my cause was just and righteous."
Reid, 31, was overpowered as he tried to light a fuse to set off explosives in his trainers on a flight from Paris to Miami in 2001.

He maintains: "It was the will of Allah that I did not succeed."
His comments were revealed as the investigation continued into the alleged bottle bomb plot to blow up nine airliners heading from Britain to the US.
Reid said his motive for trying to murder 198 people was America’s foreign policy, which led to the deaths of thousands of Muslims in places such as Afghanistan.

Without a hint of remorse he said: "What do you expect people to do?"
He added unconvincingly: "Of course I would have been sad to have those people die."
His only real concern was for his English-born mum Lesley
Reid, serving 110 years, said: "I do feel sorry for my mum having to see me here.
"I had not wanted to see her, to protect her from this, but I’ll see her if she travels to see me."
Reid’s mum and Jamaican dad, both non-Muslims, split up when he was two.
He converted to Islam after being in Feltham Young Offenders’ Institution for street muggings.
The would-be bomber was heavily influenced by hook-handed preacher of hate Abu Hamza and Sheikh Abdullah al-Faisal. Both are behind bars for soliciting murder.

The shoe bomb plot involved a second man who lost his nerve before boarding his plane. Sajiid Badat from Gloucester was later jailed.

tell them what you think s.hughes@the-sun.co.uk


No comments: