Monday, November 07, 2011

Milly Dowler killer Levi Bellfield 'converts to Islam while in jail after changing his name to Mohammed and only eating halal meat'

The killer of schoolgirl Milly Dowler has changed his name and is converting to Islam in jail, it has been claimed.  

Levi Bellfield, 43, is now called Mohammed, only eats halal meat and prays to Allah five times a day at Wakefield Prison.

The triple murderer is serving a second whole life sentence for killing Milly, 13, at Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, in March 2002.

He was already in jail for murdering Marsha McDonnell, 19, in 2003 and Amelie Delagrange, 22, as well as attempting to murder Kate Sheedy, 18, in 2004.

Staff at Wakefield prison, in West Yorkshire, believe Bellfield has only changed his faith to gain special treatment at the jail.

It is also thought he may have made the lifestyle change to impress the Muslim extremists who have given him a hard time while he has been incarcerated there.

A prison insider told the Daily Mirror: 'His diet must be cooked to halal guidelines. It is generally accepted the food is better.

'Bellfield is doing this for better meals and a cushier life. He has the right to pray five times a day so it gives him a break.

'Some staff think he may have become a Muslim to impress the extremists he had trouble with.'

Bellfield, who is 6ft tall and weighs around 18 stone, has repeatedly complained about his personal security.

Sources at the prison suggested earlier this year that Bellfield spends the majority of his time in his cell surrounded by legal papers and books because of fears he will be attacked.

It emerged in August that the serial killer could be in line for a compensation payout of up to £30,000 after suffering cuts and bruises in a prison attack.

Bellfield is waiting to cash in on a minor assault which took place before he went on trial for the murder of Milly.

After his conviction, Milly’s mother Sally said she hoped he would be dealt with in prison with the ‘same brutality’ he used against his victims.

She said: ‘The length the system goes to protect his human rights seems so unfair compared to what we as a family have had to endure.’

But within weeks of being sent back to Wakefield Prison, it emerged the killer had issued civil proceedings against the Government.

He suffered minor injuries to his face and mouth when he was attacked by an inmate armed with a makeshift weapon outside one of the prison’s bathrooms last September.

No comments: