An educational video warning schoolgirls about Asian grooming gangs was commissioned for schools in 2007 but was never promoted in the UK amid fears of appearing racist.
The 20-minute film, My Dangerous Loverboy, features an Asian man in his 20s grooming a younger white girl - lavishing her with gifts and getting her drunk before forcing her to have sex for money.
It was commissioned by child protection chiefs based in Yorkshire following reports of vulnerable girls being passed around groups of men for sex, according to a TV producer who worked on the project.
The 20-minute film, My Dangerous Loverboy, features an Asian man in his 20s grooming a younger white girl - lavishing her with gifts and getting her drunk before forcing her to have sex for money
Despite winning plaudits at international media festivals, the video was hardly used as it was thought not to be politically correct, the Sunday Mirror reports.
Yorkshire has since been shaken by the revelation that 1,400 girls were abused by Asian gangs in the town of Rotherham between 1997 and 2013.
The female TV producer, who preferred not to be named: said: 'The project was set up to specifically raise schoolkids' awareness of the dangers.
'The police and social workers were very clear it was Asian men who were seducing white British girls.
'I can't help wondering how many girls the film might have saved from being sexually exploited if the UKHTC and police had put their needs before political correctness.'
She said that men would find young girls in shopping centres and win their affections before forcing them to have sex with their male friends.
Despite winning plaudits at international media festivals, the video was hardly used as it was thought not to be politically correct
The movie was produced by a company called Eyes Open Creative, who say the aim was to 'open up people's eyes to the harsh realities of sexual exploitation'.
It was also commissioned by the UK Human Trafficking Centre (UKHTC), which is now part of the National Crime Agency.
At the time of its release, the UKHTC said: 'We want this film to create awareness of the circumstances in which this kind of exploitation can occur, and encourage vigilance from everyone in a position to notice the behavioural and physical signs that indicate abuse.'
A spokesman from The National Crime Agency today said: 'The film was officially launched in 2010 and the annual Safe and Sound conference. It was not suppressed.
'It was put on the UKHTC website, sent to every police force and to child protection agencies.'
The video was commissioned by child protection chiefs based in Yorkshire following reports of vulnerable girls being passed around groups of men for sex, according to a TV producer who worked on the project
They were unwilling to offer a comment on why it was never made compulsory for schools and was only seen in a few classrooms.
Shaun Wright, head of children's services in Rotherham between 2005 and 2010, resigned as Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire last week following weeks of intense pressure to quit.
Joyce Thacker, director of children's services at the time of the scandal also quit on Friday.
The resignations follow last month's report, from Professor Alexis Jay, which indicated that at least 1,400 children were abused between 1997 and 2013 in Rotherham amid widespread failings by authorities.
The devastating report made 'painful reading' for the police force covering the town, its chief constable admitted.
Martin Kimber, chief executive of Rotherham Borough Council, also stepped down after the findings, which suggested that the authorities were too scared to take action against the gangs for fear of appearing racist.
Over the 16-year period, children as young as 11 were sexually exploited by gangs of men – most of them of Pakistani origin.