Man ‘rubbed himself’ against sex assault victim on Oxford Street bus
Shah Ahmed rubbed himself against his victim on a bus in Oxford Street (Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images)
A man who sexually assaulted a woman on her way home from a night out on a bus in Oxford Street has been found guilty of ‘constantly rubbing himself against’ his victim.
The 34-year-old was found guilty following a two day trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court (Picture: Metropolitan Police)
Shah Ahmed was convicted last week following a two day trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court in relation to an incident on an N25 service on Sunday, October 27, 2013.
A spokesman for the Met said the victim, a 25-year-old woman, was travelling home from a night out at 1am when the 34-year-old sexually assaulted her by constantly rubbing himself against her.
The victim got off the bus and reported the incident to police, with a specialist sexual offences team from the Roads and Transport Policing Command identifying Ahmed through CCTV.
He was arrested on November 19 and charged with sexual assault in January this year.
The 34-year-old, of Ethel Road, Docklands, has been bailed to re-attend Snaresbrook Crown Court for sentencing on December 1.
Acting Superintendent Andrew Johnstone, from the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: “Sexual assaults on the transport network will not be tolerated and anyone who commits such offences will be caught and prosecuted.
“If someone has made you feel uncomfortable on your bus journey – however minor it may seem to you – reporting it to police can help us target the perpetrator and prevent it happening to another passenger.”
The action was part of Project Guardian – a multi agency initiative involving the Met, British Transport Police, City of London Police and TfL – which aims to improve the levels of reporting among victims of sexual offences, and ‘create an environment on London’s transport network which does not tolerate intimidation and sexual harassment’.