Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Serial bus groper jailed for five-and-a-half years after sexually assaulting young woman
Javed Montakhab, 64, branded a 'menace to young girls' as he was sent to prison after targeting an 18-year-old woman on a bus
A pervert with a history of groping young women on buses has been jailed for five-and-a-half years - and banned from public transport.
Javed Montakhab, 64, was branded a menace to lone young girls on buses after he touched an 18-year-old woman on a packed service.
She froze in terror during a 30-minute journey from Middlesbrough bus station, Teesside Crown Court heard today.
Montakhab - who had a string of convictions for molesting young women on buses and used his bus pass so often it was declined - planned his latest sex attack.
He targeted the victim and used an empty laptop bag to hide his activities, the court was told.
The white-haired, goateed passenger got off one bus and on to another at Middlesbrough bus station, and sat next to the woman.
He started touching and stroking her leg as the bus pulled away at about 5pm on November 27 last year.
The scared victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, tried to move and push him away but did not feel able to confront him or make a scene.
She texted a friend saying she was shaking and close to tears.
Prosecutor Shaun Dodds said: “He was relying on the fact that females so often in these circumstances simply freeze and don’t shout out.”
Montakhab finally got off the bus in the Norton area. The traumatised teenager immediately told her mother what had happened.
She later said in a statement it had a major impact on her life.
She was off work due to stress and anxiety and could not travel on buses for weeks afterwards.
She can now get on buses but still felt nervous and no longer used the service where she was assaulted as it “brings the incident all back to me”.
She said it took a toll on her mental health but she was relieved it was over and that Montakhab had been convicted.
“I feel like justice has been served and I can move on,” she added.
The attacker’s picture was circulated in Cleveland Police from high-quality CCTV footage.
Montakhab - already a registered sex offender on licence - was immediately identified by his own monitoring officer.
He had moved to Teesside following convictions for “strikingly similar” sexual assaults in Manchester.
He had seven convictions for touching young women on buses in 2002, 2004 and 2011, the last offence earning him two-and-a-half years in prison.
Montakhab, of Cobden Street, Thornaby, denied the latest sexual assault claiming it was not him on the footage.
He was convicted after giving a bizarre, rambling testimony in a trial last month.
Adrian Dent, defending, said: “This man is obviously highly intelligent and well educated, and he has descended into making himself a thorough hazard for females travelling on public transport.”
He said Montakhab, who had been in the UK since 1972, had a “fragile mental state”, suffered depression and took medication for bipolar disorder.
Now Montakhab was said to be willing to engage with a sex offenders’ treatment programme.
“One hopes that this desire to seek help is genuine,” added Mr Dent.
Judge John Walford told him: “It is abundantly clear that you have been and remain a menace to young girls travelling on their own on buses.”
He said Montakhab selected a bus to target the lone 18-year-old: “You’ve done that repeatedly in the past.”
He told how Montakhab persisted in denying the assault despite “overwhelming evidence” and tried to delay or derail his trial.
Montakhab denied responsibility, tried to deflect it on to others and always ignored the profound effects on victims, added the judge.
He jailed Montakhab, of Cobden Street, Thornaby, for five-and-a-half years and gave him a sexual harm prevention order which bans him from “travelling on any mode of public transport”.
Montakhab will be on the sex offenders’ register for life.
He could face deportation, as recommended by a Home Secretary, but the court heard that situation remains unclear.
Detective Constable Rachel Keeley from Stockton CID was praised for her hard work and diligence by the judge.
She said today: “Cleveland Police are extremely pleased with the sentence given to the defendant in this case.
“I would like to thank the victim for her bravery in reporting the matter to police and the courage shown by her during what was an emotional and trying time for both her and her family.”
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)