Sunday, August 02, 2015

Muslima who stole passport to join the Islamic State spared jail so she can be with her young child

AA_17032015_27532The British government has never, ever extended this leniency and compassion to foes of jihad terror. Britain is in its last days as a free society, and as they are carted away into slavery, its leaders will congratulate themselves about how they avoided being “racist” to the very last.
“Young mother who stole her ‘party girl’ twin sister’s passport so she could join ISIS in Syria for a second time is spared jailed [sic] so she can be with her young child,” by Duncan Gardham, Mailonline, July 31, 2015:
A young mother who stole her twin sister’s passport in order to join ISIS for a second time has escaped a jail sentence after a judge told her it was an exceptional case.
Jamila Henry, 22, was arrested in Turkey in March as she prepared to board a bus in the capital Ankara, because Turkish police suspected she was heading to join ISIS.
It emerged that she was travelling on her twin’s passport and the two sisters could not be more different: one was a self-confessed ‘party girl’ who was supposed to be on a weekend in Amsterdam with friends when her passport was taken by her sister.
The other was a Muslim convert who was making her second visit to Syria, after returning to Britain with her baby son, a few months earlier.
Prosecutors dropped terrorism charges against Jamila even though she admitted spending six months living in Raqqa, the self-declared capital of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), with her two-year-old son.
She brought him back to London but disappeared back to Syria four months later without him because she was missing her friends there.
Jamila had told police officers as she was driven from Luton Airport to London for questioning, that she had been ‘lonely and had she had been to Turkey and Syria to see friends.’
She said she had a friend in Atmeh, a refugee camp just over the border from Turkey, and ‘expressed a desire to look after Muslim children who had suffered,’ Brinder Soora, prosecuting, said.
‘She also said that the Islamic State government had assisted with food and money. She said that people couldn’t easily cross the border into Syria and that they had to be sponsored before arriving in Syria.’
The court heard that Jalila Henry described herself as ‘opinionated, outspoken and confident’ in contrast to her sister who was ‘shy and quiet.’
Their mother was a Jehovah’s Witness and their father a Muslim but their parents separated when the girls were aged two and they lived with their mother.
She married at the age of 18 but her husband, who is of Turkish origin, moved out of their home in Walthamstow, East London and went back to live with his parents.
Alphege Bell, defending said: ‘The defendant asks through me to apologise to her sister and her mother. She wants the court to know the pain and distress she has caused. That is uppermost in her mind as she wants to move forward.’
Jamila pleaded guilty to possession of an identity document with improper intention between March 12 and March 19 this year.
Sentencing her to a 12 month suspended prison sentence, Judge Christopher Moss QC, told her: ‘I have decided in your case I can take an exceptional course, which will immediately allow you to re-establish contact with your child and put your life in order.’
The Old Bailey heard that Jamila was planning to study midwifery and nursing so she could get a job and bring up her son and the judge told her: ‘I hope things go well for you.’
The court heard that Jamila had made several previous attempts to get to Syria.
She was one of four women stopped by police at Heathrow Airport on January 4 last year. The women were spoken to by a ‘Prevent’ team of police officers dedicated to talking people out of going to Syria and Jamila decided not to go.
However, on May 12, she tried again, this time taking her two-year-old son and a friend of hers.
Once again they were stopped, this time at Luton Airport on their way to Turkey via Belgrade, and gave conflicting accounts of their destination.
When Jamila’s mobile phone was seized, police found eight or nine images of men and women in military clothing, holding guns, and others showing the flag adopted by ISIS and what was called the ISIS ‘salute’ – holding up one finger. One image had a caption referring to martyrdom.
The following day the group of three tried a different route, traveling to Belgium, via Dover by coach. They were stopped at Dover and questioned but allowed to continue.
Jamila spent six months in Syria, returning with her son on November 26 when she was stopped at Stansted Airport getting off a flight from Turkey.
She admitted that she had been living in the ‘declared capital’ of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria with her son since May and had returned to Britain through Turkey, using a similar route to the one she had taken to get there.
Jamila was carrying a basic model of mobile phone without a sim card and admitted she had thrown it away while on the flight. It was recovered from the aircraft but was badly damaged.
Jamila was released and four months later on March 17, British authorities were notified by officials in Turkey that Jamila’s sister had been ‘stopped and detained for deportation as it was suspected that she was intending to travel to Syria,’ Ms Soora said….

No comments: