- Terrorist who calls himself Abu Mugheera Al-Britani compensated in 2010
- He wrote in 2011 that he had fled to Syria to carry out jihad for Al-Qaeda
- Today Foreign Office refused to say if they had found or even identified him
- It comes after former inmate Jamal Al-Harith killed himself and others in Mosul
A second freed Guantanamo Bay inmate who was compensated by the British taxpayer is still fighting for Al-Qaeda in Syria, it is feared.
The terrorist who calls himself Abu Mugheera Al-Britani is one of at least 16 UK nationals who received a total of £20 million in High Court compensation in 2010.
Another named Jamal Al-Harith from Manchester last week killed Iraqi soldiers fighting ISIS in a suicide bomb attack in Mosul after receiving £1million.
A second freed Guantanamo bay inmate who was paid compensation by the British taxpayer is still fighting for Al-Qaeda in Syria, it is feared (stock image of Guantanamo Bay)
Today the Foreign Office refused to say if it had found or even identified Abu Mugheera, as fears grow that compensation paid to former inmates for their years in prison is helping to fund terrorism.
The terrorist revealed his intentions to fight jihad in fanatics' magazine Al-Risalah in 2011.
He wrote: 'Sitting in the blessed land of al-Shaam [Greater Syria], reflecting on those weeks and days spent behind bars, I thank Allah for releasing me and providing me with the opportunity of carrying out jihad in his path again.'
He described the gory details of his torture in the Cuban camp at the hands of 'evil' Americans after he was captured in Pakistan following September 11, 2001.
The Foreign Office today admitted: 'As all UK consular services are suspended in Syria and greatly limited in Iraq, it is extremely difficult to confirm the whereabouts and status of British Nationals in these areas.'
A terrorist named Jamal Al-Harith from Manchester (pictured at school in 1978 and last week before his attack) killed Iraqi soldiers fighting ISIS after receiving £1million
Al-Harith was released from Guantanamo in 2004 after being detained for two years. He was arrested in Kandahar by US troops in February 2002.
He received around £1 million in compensation from the Government, which he is feared to have spent to flee to Syria – as well as fund jihad.
Al-Britani, who claims to be in his 30s, says he was in Afghanistan when the US-led coalition invaded the country in 2001.
He claims that he was based in the Tora Bora mountains when US troops arrived hunting for then Al Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden. Al-Britani and ten others were ordered to cross into Pakistan, where locals would help them travel to Lahore.
When the militants arrived, they were met by Pakistani soldiers, who told them they would escort them. But the next day, the troops drove the jihadis to a military camp and imprisoned them, later handing them to the Americans.
Last night Al-Harith was condemned by fellow former detainee Safiq Rasul, 39, who said: 'It is absolutely terrible was he has done. Guantanamo was terrible but I have been able to move on.'
Al-Harith was released from Guantanamo in 2004 after being detained for two years (stock image of an inmate)