- SAS troops took part in raid on 'bomb-making den' in Newcastle on Tuesday
- They joined more than 100 specially trained police officers in planned operation
- A 33-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences
- Residents were evacuated and described scene as 'something from Call of Duty'
The SAS helped foil a suspected ISIS-inspired Christmas terror plot after raiding a 'bomb-making den'.
Special forces troops were part of a huge operation in a cul-de-sac in Newcastle earlier this week.
More than 100 police officers, some armed, were also involved and witnesses described the scenes as 'something from Call of Duty'.
The raid was prompted by an MI5 investigation into a potential 'lone wolf' attack but was not related to the Christmas market shooting in Strasbourg.
A 33-year-old man was arrested at the property on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
A source told The Sun the raid was about 'bombs, not guns' and added the use of the SAS outlined how serious the situation was.
The source said: 'It underlines the concerns had by investigating officers about who or what might have been inside the house when it was raided.'
The Ministry of Defence said it does not comment on special forces matters.
Fearing that explosives may be present, more than 150 houses were evacuated as well as a school when elite counter-terrorism officers raided an address in the Arthur's Hill area of the city less than a mile from St James's Park football stadium and the Eldon Square shopping centre.
Dozens of locals were taken to a community centre while searches were carried out at the suspect's property for any explosives or weapons.
But hours after his arrest the cordon was taken down after no explosives were found.
The suspect is still at a police station in West Yorkshire and police have been given until Tuesday to continue questioning him.
Specialist forensic officers have been also been carrying out fingertip searches of the property.
A police spokesman said the operation had been the result of a pre-planned, intelligence led investigation and warned locals that armed officers were likely to remain at the scene for some time.
Locals expressed their shock at seeing police officers in military style uniforms descending on the normally quiet street shortly after 10am.
Neighbours described the man who was living at the address as an Asian man in his 30s, but said they knew little about him.
Lilian Held, 69, a pensioner who lives on the street, said: 'There were masses of police everywhere. I was terrified.
'A policeman knocked on my door, he was armed police, he had all the gear on and told me to grab something and get out.
'It's so scary. Just absolutely unreal. I've been really shaken by this. What kind of world are we living in?'
Two rabbits have been removed from the property which appears to be at the centre of the investigation.
The black and white creatures were carried from the address in metal cages by two plain-clothed women and driven away in a van this afternoon.
Police investigations last night were concentrating on the garden of the property and what appeared to be a pigeon coop.
Armed police are at the address while officers still surround the cordoned off area.
Residents have not been told when they can expect police to leave the area.
Neighbours of the property on Philip Place continue to be escorted to and from their homes by officers.
Among those whose homes were evacuated in the residential area was the father of troubled TV presenter Ant McPartlin.
One of the cordoned off roads was once home to teenage bomb plotter Liam Lyburd who was jailed for life in 2015 for an unrelated plot to carry out a massacre at Newcastle College.
Chief Superintendent Neil Hutchinson said: 'Officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North East, supported by Northumbria Police have this morning (TUES) arrested a man in the Arthur's Hill area of Newcastle on suspicion of terrorism offences.
'The 33-year-old has been taken to a police station in West Yorkshire for questioning.
'The arrest was intelligence led and pre-planned as part of an ongoing investigation by Counter Terrorism Policing North East.
'As part of the operation a number of residents were evacuated from properties as a precautionary measure.
'Officers also attended a nearby school to offer reassurance and ensure pupils were away from a nearby property which was being searched as part of the operation.
'When we were satisfied there was no threat posed at this address, residents were allowed to go back home and the school returned to normal.
'A police presence remains at the address, including armed officers, and activity will continue for some time.
'I understand our communities will have concerns but I want to offer my reassurance that we are here to serve and protect them.
'I would also like to thank all of those who have been affected for their patience and understanding, along with our partners who have supported us throughout this operation.
'We work very closely with our colleagues in Counter Terrorism Policing North East and we will ensure we maintain these strong links in order to provide a high level of service to you.
'Public service is our utmost concern.
'We would ask the public to be vigilant and if you see or hear something that could be suspicious, act on your instincts and call the police.'