Saturday, August 01, 2015

'Untouchable' teen gangster finally jailed after breaking almost every bone in man's face during mugging

Sheikh Juned is just 18 but now has convictions for arson, drug dealing, robbery, burglary, GBH and even assaulting his own mother

Thug: Sheik Juned left victim Michael Conway scarred from ear to ear

A teenage gangster who was so-feared police described him as "untouchable" has finally been jailed for an attack in which he broke nearly every bone in a man's face.
Sheikh Juned is just 18, but now has convictions for arson, drug dealing, robbery, burglary, grievous bodily harm and even assaulting his own mother.
Lancashire Police asked magistrates to impose an ASBO, now known as a Criminal Behaviour Order, on Juned in March after telling the court his gang had left residents of the Stoneyholme area of Burnley living in fear.
But the request was denied because not enough terrified residents came forward to support the order.
Community PC David Cottam said at the time: "In my opinion, and that of my colleagues, that group see themselves as untouchable."

CavendishMichael Conway
Horrific: Victim Michael Conway had to have 14 teeth removed and five metal plates inserted

Juned, who is said to have a £10,000-a-year cannabis habit, is now finally starting an eight-year stretch behind bars after he was convicted of a savage mugging.
Burnley Crown Court heard how Juned an another man set upon victim Michael Conway as he walked through an underpass.
The thugs stamped on his head repeatedly, leaving him with multiple facial fractures.
Mr Conway had 14 teeth removed, suffered a fractured eye socket, broken nose, two broken cheekbones and a broken jaw in three places.
The roof of his mouth was also broken.
He had to have five metal plates inserted in his face and six screws in his jaw.
He is now scarred for life almost from ear to ear.
Sentencing him for robbery and causing grievous bodily harm, a judge said Juned was "thrill-seeking" and enjoying the "power to cause pain."
After the case Mr Conway, 33, who now works as a part time fireplace fitter said of his attackers: "They were like wild animals and left me for dead. My arms were grabbed from behind whilst another guy gave me a pasting.
"Pretty much every piece of bone in my face was broken - my eye socket, my jaw and my cheek bones are shattered and I suppose I just feel very lucky to be alive. These people are cowards."

Lancashire PoliceSheik Juned
Gangster: Police tried to impose an ASBO on Sheikh Juned - but residents were too scared to give evidence

"The last two years have been a total nightmare. You can tame animals but not these men - they need to put in cages for a long time. I was an absolute mess.
"I have never heard of someone suffering facial injuries like I did and surviving.
"I still have problems with my eyes, and of course I am very cautious now. It has dramatically changed my life.
"At least eight years jail shows that the court has taken the attack seriously."
The hearing was told the incident occurred in March 2013 when Mr Conway was emerging from a subway under the M65 at Gannow Top, in Burnley, whilst walking home from Burnley college where he just applied for a computer science course.
He was approached by Juned and a friend and asked the time - but as he pulled out his mobile phone he was knocked to the floor and given a beating.
Eyewitnesses saw the student being kicked and stamped on while he was on the ground and came to his aid.
He was taken to hospital where it was discovered his mobile phone, wallet, passport and bank cards were missing.
Police arrested Juned after he tried to sell the phone on the black market. Mr Conway later picked him during an identification parade but had to relive his ordeal in the witness box.
In his victim impact statement Mr Conway, said he was found with the zig zag pattern of footwear on his face having been kicked about seven or eight times.
He was diagnosed with depression and considered ending his life.

CavendishMichael Conway
Suffering: Michael Conway says he is still recovering from the horror attack which ruined his life

He told his mother he wished he had never come out of the subway.
Prosecutor Geoff Whelan said: "He says his friends have helped him get through this and he doesn't think he would have got this far without them."
The court was told that six weeks before the robbery, Juned went out robbing and burgling.
He terrorised two children in a house with an imitation firearm and also made them relive it in a trial.
He also targeted two young children in a local park, asked for money and when they said they had none, stole their mobile phones.
In mitigation William Staunton, for Juned, said: "He would wish to apologise. He has now had a taste of custody, which has impacted upon him.
"The clang of the prison gates has led to him crying at nights. He hopes to lead a positive life on his eventual release."
But the judge Miss Recorder Tania Griffiths, QC, told Juned: "Your behaviour was down to thrill-seeking and wanting the power to cause pain.
"The gratuitous use of force was sickening and this man's terror was obvious when you proclaimed your innocence at him from the dock.
"He almost froze in fear as he watched you.
"He says his permanent scar will be will be a daily reminder of what he says was the worst day of his life."

No comments: