"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word,
which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND." - Sir Winston Churchill
Tuesday, September 01, 2015
Man, 25, jailed for more than four years for wounding victim who was lured to Bradford street
A 25-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for more than four years after his victim was lured to a meeting and attacked in front of passing motorists and members of the public.
A judge was today shown CCTV footage of the broad daylight attack which took place in Carlisle Road, Manningham, Bradford, on a June evening.
Unsuspecting Miroslav Horvath, 23, had gone to the area after receiving a phone call at about 8.30pm on June 9, but he was immediately confronted by Shizan Hussain.
Prosecutor Stephanie Hancock told Bradford Crown Court that Hussain, of Barkerend Road, Bradford, shouted to the complainant and then grabbed Mr Horvath's jumper pulling it over his face.
At the same time Hussain started punching his victim to the ground and then produced a weapon as he bent over him.
The complainant said his attacker had been armed with a kitchen knife but Hussain pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm on the basis that he was carrying a piece of metal with a sharp or pointed edge.
Miss Hancock said the CCTV footage showed Hussain making about three "stabbing motions" towards the complainant.
During the attack Mr Horvath suffered a wound to his forehead which later needed stitches as well as superficial defensive-type injuries to hand.
Following the attack Hussain fled the scene and Mr Horvath sought help at a nearby off-licence before being taken to hospital.
Hussain was arrested from his home the next day, but during his police interview he submitted a prepared statement in which he said he did not know Mr Horvath and had never met him.
The defendant appeared before the crown court for a pre-trial hearing via a video link to HMP Leeds, but after the case was stood down he eventually pleaded guilty to the wounding with intent charge.
His barrister Elyas Patel said Hussain was desperate to know his fate and wanted to be dealt with immediately over the link without the need for any pre-sentence report.
At the time of the wounding incident Hussain was already subject to a six-month prison sentence for harassment which had been suspended in April.
Mr Patel submitted that his client's "bold and brave decision" to enter a guilty plea was the best expression of his remorse.
He said the offence had been committed against "a background of trouble" and conceded it was a miracle that the complainant had not suffered more serious injuries.
"On this particular occasion anger and frustration got the better of him and it spilled over in the way your honour has seen," said Mr Patel.
Jailing Hussain for four-and-a-half years, Judge Colin Burn said he had used a weapon to carry out an unpleasant assault on Mr Horvath who was in no position to defend himself.
"To a large extent it looks as though he was taken completely by surprise," noted the judge.
The judge said it was fortunate for Hussain, and Mr Horvath, that more serious injuries were not suffered during the attack, but it was still a serious offence.
"It was premeditated, there were a number of blows with a sharp or edged weapon and they were aimed at his head," said Judge Burn.
Judge Burn also imposed the six months from the suspended sentence, but that will run concurrently with the four-and-a-half year term for wounding Mr Horvath.Hussain, who was said to have problems with anger management, was told he would could have a faced a six-year jail term after a trial, but his sentence was reduced because of his guilty plea.