- Migrant 'children' arriving in Britain on coaches from Calais Jungle camp
- But critics argue they look much older than the 14 to 17 they claim to be
- Aid workers said some are lying about their age to get entry to Britain
- They claim those arriving in the UK are 'adults pretending to be children'
- Daniel Gadi, nine, from Eritrea is among those still stranded in France
- Nearly two-thirds of ‘child’ refugees quizzed about their real age last year were found to be adults, according to the Home Office.
Aid workers in Calais have warned the most vulnerable children face being stranded in the Jungle camp because adults are lying about their age to gain entry to Britain.
Volunteers working in the migrant camp said the process for registering those with family members was 'chaotic' and warned vulnerable children are being left behind.
Critics have claimed that migrants arriving into Britain over the last two days appear to look older than the 14 to 17 years the Government claims they are.
The Home Office has come under fire for not carrying out routine tests such as dental checks to determine their age because they are deemed 'too intrusive'.
The volunteers said the process for registering those with family members was 'chaotic' and warned vulnerable children are being left behind. There is no suggestion the minors arriving in London today in any of these pictures are lying about their age
Migrants arrive off the coach at Lunar house in Croydon, south London, today after managing to leave the Jungle Camp in Calais. There is no suggestion they lied about their age to officials
Migrants arrive in Croydon today after leaving the Jungle camp as part of the fast-track scheme before it is demolished. There is no suggestion any pictured lied about their ages
The second wave of 'child' migrants from the Jungle Camp arrived in Britain at lunchtime today with up to 300 more expected to follow in their footsteps in the coming week - although the Home Office has not yet confirmed the exact number.
Some 14 children arrived in the first wave yesterday, but the Home Office also refused to confirm how many came to the UK today.
After photographs of the refugees arriving were published, Conservative MP David Davies wrote on Twitter: 'These don't look like 'children' to me. I hope British hospitality is not being abused.'
Officials insist the migrants have undergone rigorous interviews and document checks to establish they are aged under 18.
But it has emerged that this is simply a screening process where they are verified as a child based on their 'physical appearance' and 'demeanour', with social workers signing off an 'age assessment'.
A Whitehall source added that the migrants may simply look older because fleeing war zones had 'probably toughened them up so they've grown up a bit quicker'.
WHY IS HOME OFFICE NOT DOING MEDICAL CHECKS?
The first child migrants began arriving in Britain from Calais on Monday, while the second wave got to the UK Visas and Immigration office in Croydon, south London, this afternoon.
They being transferred from the Jungle before it is demolished later this month.
Some waved to the waiting cameras as they stepped off the packed bus before being escorted into the main building by UK border enforcement officers.
Between 200 and 300 youngsters with family already in the UK will be brought across the Channel by the end of the week, according to French police.
But as the transfers began, volunteers working in the Jungle camp raised concerns that those most in need would be left behind because adults are taking their places.
One unnamed aid worker in Calais raised concerns that adults may be lying about their age to gain entry into Britain.
The worker said: 'It is a complete mess. Those at the front of the queue are not the most needy and vulnerable – they are adults pretending to be children.'
Another volunteer, Neha, added: 'I know there are vulnerable kids, kids with epilepsy, who are still here that have family in the UK they could be with right now.
'It's a shambles. Children are not being told what they are queuing up for, they are not being given information, there is complete confusion.'
Up to 1,200 children are stranded in the sprawling Jungle camp in the French Port town, which is due to be demolished this month.
A Home Office spokesman said that routine medical tests, such as checking dental records, have not been carried out because it could be 'intrusive'. Pictured: Arrivals in Croydon
A Home Office spokesman admitted that routine medical tests, such as checking dental records, have not been carried out because it could be 'intrusive'. Pictured: Arrivals in Croydon - There is no suggestion that those pictured are lying about being under 17
Migrant 'children' arriving in Britain from Calais to critics claiming they look 'old enough to be adults' may look older 'because war has toughened them up', a Whitehall source claims. Pictured: An Afghani migrant waves as he leaves Saint Omer, France, for Britain today
One British volunteer said: 'It's a shambles. Children are not being told what they are queuing up for, they are not being given information, there is complete confusion.' Pictured: Migrants in the Calais jungle, which is due to be bulldozed later this month
Home Office staff have gone out to Calais to ensure a smooth transition. Pictured here is a UK official (centre, black coat) and a camp volunteer (hat and beige coat) assisting a group of migrant children aged 12-16 ahead of their departure
Around half say they have family in the UK, giving them the right to move here.
Under the system, the children have to apply for asylum in France with their claims transferred to Britain once they show they have family links already in the country.
A team of Home Office officials has been dispatched to Calais to work with the French authorities to screen applicants before they are granted entry.
Part of the vetting process will include attempting to determine their ages.
CHILD ARRIVALS SPARK HUGE DEBATE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Government said it has 'worked closely with the French Authorities to ensure that the cases applying to come to the UK qualify', but admitted tests are based on 'physical appearance' and 'demeanour', with social workers signing off an 'age assessment'.
A Home Office spokesman admitted medical tests, such as checking dental records, were not carried out because it could be 'intrusive'.
The first group of children from war-torn countries including Syria and Sudan, arrived yesterday by coach at Lunar House, followed by a second batch today.
As part of the process, family members will also have been grilled by a team of screening officers trained to spot inconsistencies in their stories.
As doubts were raised about the new arrivals' ages, Tory MP David Davies tweeted: 'These don't look like 'children' to me. I hope British hospitality is not being abused.'
Meanwhile, Twitter user Iain McGregor wrote: 'Does the British Foreign Office think we are stupid? I was expecting kids under the age of 16, not over the age of 21.'
Another, writing under the name Dot, added: 'When I read child migrants I thought it was youngsters. These are young men!!'
And David Moore said: 'Lie about your age and you get a ride into the land of milk and honey. Don't think they will be asked for ID at the pub.'
Others commented that some of the 'children' had managed to grow facial hair, while Mr Davies questioned why no girls or women had been brought to Britain.
He told The Telegraph: 'These young men don't look like minors to me. They are hulking teenagers who look older than 18. I'm all for helping the genuine children but the well of goodwill is rapidly being exhausted here.
'I'm also curious that there are no young women - I would have thought they would be much more vulnerable.
I worry that once again British hospitality is being abused.
'There is no way of knowing if someone is a child.
We could end up causing even more misery if we are not careful.
We should invite anyone who wants to come to the UK to take dental tests.'
Home Office officials are in Calais processing applications from unaccompanied minors for entry to the UK. Pictured: Aghan migrants place their belongings into a van as they depart the emergency shelter in Saint Omer, France, for Britain
The group gather at the shelter in Saint Omer this morning ahead of their departure to the UK. The groups have been arriving in the UK this afternoon to be reunited with their families
The youngsters, pictured waiting to depart Saint Omer for the UK, face more screening by the Home Office before they are reunited with family
They were seen carrying their belongings in cardboard boxes, pictures, as well as suitcases
The youngsters now face further screening by the Home Office before they are reunited with family members. Some might be housed in specialist accommodation while these safeguarding checks take place, the spokesman said.
A Home Office spokesman said: 'This is the start of the process to transfer as many eligible children as possible before the start of the clearance, as the Home Secretary set out in Parliament.
'The transfer process is not straightforward. We need to make sure the essential checks have been made for their safety and the safety of others.'
Earlier, campaigners and faith leaders warned there are many more children left behind at the Jungle camp who also deserve Britain's help.
WHAT THE LAW SAYS
'We know that at least three children have died trying to get into Britain.
Three children who actually had a legal right to be with their families,' said former archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.
Speaking to reporters in Croydon in south London, where the teenagers were being processed, he said yesterday: 'I really hope it will be the beginning of some kind of new life experience with none of the horrors they've endured.'
Charities estimate up to 10,000 migrants from Africa, the Middle East and Asia have settled in the 'Jungle' in the hope of reaching Britain,
but French authorities are expected to close it down by the end of the year.
'No child must be left behind in the chaos of demolition,' said Lord Alf Dubs, who fled the Nazis for Britain in 1939 and helped force the change in the law on child refugees.
A Home Office spokeswoman said Britain had agreed to transfer 'as many minors as possible' under EU asylum law before the Calais camp is closed.
She said that those eligible under British law must be looked after while their cases were assessed, adding: 'Work is continuing on both sides of the Channel to ensure this happens as a matter of urgency.'
Meanwhile a French court today rejected a request by aid groups to delay the closure of the migrant camp in Calais, allowing authorities to clear out its thousands of residents in the coming weeks.
French authorities are gradually relocating or deporting the 6,000 to 10,000 migrants from the camp.
No date has been set for a large-scale clear-out operation, but the government has promised to shut it down by the start of winter.
Several aid groups filed an emergency request last week to postpone the closure, arguing that authorities aren't ready to relocate its residents.
A Lille court rejected the request Tuesday, according to Pierre Henry of aid group Terre d'Asile.
Charity groups have warned that many of the migrants don't want to stay in France and may set up camp elsewhere to continue trying to cross the English Channel to Britain.
The first group of children, pictured, arrived in the UK yesterday but questions were still raised over their ages
Former home secretary Jack Straw is leading growing demands for refugees claiming asylum in the UK to be subject to age checks after the Home Office admitted nearly two-thirds of 'child' refugees were found to be adults.
He said introducing 'dental checks' would be the 'sensible thing to do' and the lack of age tests risks undermining public confidence in Britain's asylum system.
The intervention from the former Labour Cabinet minister highlights the growing concern over adult migrants trying to deceive UK authorities in a bid to be granted sanctuary under the UK's child refugee allocation.
Nearly two-thirds of ‘child’ refugees quizzed about their real age last year were found to be adults, according to the Home Office.
In the 12 months to September last year, 65 per cent were found to be aged over 18.
More than 17,000 migrants file lawsuits in Germany aimed at getting their families to join