- Offences relate to five young girls and teenagers across Huddersfield area
- Allegedly carried out from 2005 to 2012, when complainants were 12 to 18
- 30 people are appearing at Kirklees Magistrates' Court today and tomorrow
Some 30 people including a woman are appearing in court today and tomorrow charged with child sex grooming offences including rape and human trafficking.
The offences relate to five young girls and teenagers and were allegedly carried out between 2005 and 2012, when the complainants were 12 to 18 years old.
About 40 police officers gathered outside Kirklees Magistrates' Court to keep the peace with 31 defendants set to appear over alleged crimes around Huddersfield.
Protesters claiming to be from the English Defence League and others from the Socialist Party were also present outside the court in West Yorkshire this morning.
Today, 17 men and a woman appeared before District Judge Michael Fanning in small batches. Twelve more defendants are due to appear at the same court tomorrow.
The 18 who appeared today were all given conditional bail and ordered to appear at Leeds Crown Court on November 1.
The defendants (all from Huddersfield except where stated) were:
- Iftikar Ali, 37, of Holly Road, charged with three rapes and one attempted rape
- Umar Zaman, 30, of Bishop’s Court, charged with two rapes
- Basharat Hussain, 31, charged with two rapes
- Banaras Hussain, 37, of Shipley, charged with one rape
- Mubasher Hussain, 35, charged with one rape and one sexual assault
- Abdul Majid, 34, charged with two rapes
- Gul Riaz, 42, charged with one rape
- Fehreen Rafiq, 38, charged with two counts of facilitating the commission of a child sex offence
- Mohammed Sajjad, 31, charged with four counts of rape and one count of facilitating the commission of a child sex offence
- Usman Ali, 32, charged with two counts of rape
- Mohammed Suhail Arif, 30, charged with one rape
- Amin Ali Choli, 36, charged with two rapes
- Mohammed Dogar, 35, charged with facilitating the commission of a child sex offence
- Banaris Hussain, 35, charged with one rape
- Shaqeel Hussain, 35, of Dewsbury, charged with one rape and two counts of trafficking
- Mohammed Waqas Anwar, 28, charged with five rapes
- Saqib Raheel, 32, of Cradley Heath, West Midlands, charged with two rapes
- A man who cannot be named for legal reasons is charged with one rape and one count of sexual touching of a female